The holidays are fast approaching. This holiday season you can help support your community by shopping locally. Here are eight reasons why it’s important to shop locally.
- Create Jobs – “If every American spent $64 on something made in America, we could create 200,000 jobs right now.” [source]
- Keep Money Local – Sales taxes help fund vital services in our communities. Also, local businesses are also more likely to spend money locally, keeping more money in the community.
- Creates a Diverse Community – Shopping locally encourages people to businesses that are unique and an alternative to chain stores.
- Better for the Environment – Many locally owned businesses also offer local products which require far less transportation.
- Better Customer Service – Local businesses owners are passionate about their businesses and connected to the community. This often contributes to better and more personal customer service.
- Helps Your Community Grow – Keeping tax dollars in your community and creating demand will help encourage new businesses and help your city grow.
- More Support for Nonprofits – Studies show that nonprofits receive 250 percent more support from small businesses than larger businesses.
- Connect with your Community – Shopping locally helps you connect with people in your community and learn about more things going on around you.
Encourage your friends and family to shop locally this year by sharing this post and this graphic. And post your favorite local shops in the comments below!