Many cities in Oklahoma offer recycling for many products but there are some items that you likely can’t recycling with your city. Thankfully many businesses are starting to offer some great recycling programs for harder to recycle items. Here is a list of ten of those items and where you can recycle them.
- CFLs– CFLs have mercury and should never go in the trash, thankfully you can recycle them at Home Depot. If there isn’t a Home Depot near you, contact your city to find out how you can recycle them.
- Cosmetic Containers- Origins recycles cosmetic jars, bottles, and tubes. They will recycle any brand.
- E-Waste- Gazelle has a great e-waste recycling and sell back program. You can also take e-waste to Best Buy. And be sure to check with your city, they may also provide recycling. The city of Ada is one city offering free e-waste recycling.
- Styrofoam– This is one type of recycling that is normally very hard to find but thanks to the Choctaw Nation, many Oklahomans now have some place to saving dispose this item, without taking up valuable landfill space. There are many drop-offs around the state, contact the Choctaw Nation for more information.
- Brita Filters- Whole Foods accepts Brita Filters for recycling through the Gimme 5 recycling program.
- #5 Plastic- #5 plastic is also accepted through the Gimme 5 program at Whole Foods.
- Gift Cards- Best Buy accepts gift cards for recycling.
- Plastic Bags– Many grocery stores offer plastic bag recycling, check with your local stores to see if they do.
- Plastic Bottle Caps– Aveda recycles plastic bottle caps that can’t normally be recycled. They have a great guide to show you what you can take there and what can’t be accepted.
- Inkjet Cartridges- Best Buy and Staples will recycle inkjet cartridges.
Do you know of more places to recycle hard to recycle items? Please share in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
Latest posts by Lisa Sharp (see all)
- Things to Do This Fall in Oklahoma - September 11, 2018
- Get Rid of Moths with Natural Alternatives to Mothballs - August 30, 2018
- How to Sell Your iPhone with Gazelle - August 29, 2018