Need a delicious fruit and nut bar for hikes or an everyday snack? Try these delicious chocolate cherry bars. They are full of flavor and nutrition.
It’s finally beginning to look and feel like spring. The temperature is rising and people are getting outside. My family has been out more enjoying this warmer weather. Have you?
Like most people, my family is on a budget. So we save money wherever possible. One way to do that is by making our own snacks and bringing those snacks with us when we go out. Having three children, someone is always hungry. Having healthy snacks on hand helps prevent us from having to stop at a store or restaurant every time hungry cries begin.
Chocolate Cherry Bars
The recipe I’m sharing today is for our Chocolate Cherry Bars. These are similar in taste and texture to a Larabar. They are gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and 100% delicious! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Tips for Making Chocolate Cherry Bars
- Try using different nuts and fruits to make even more kinds of bars for your family to enjoy.
- For a waste-free way to travel with the chocolate cherry bars use beeswax wraps in place of plastic wrap or plastic bags.
- When you are choosing dates to use in this recipe try to choose ones that are still moist.
- You can use toasted or raw almonds. Try both to see which your family prefers.
Helpful Supplies for Making Chocolate Cherry Bars
When shopping for supplies first check your local stores to help support local businesses. If you are unable to find items locally the items check smaller shops online, and as a last resort, you will be able to find these items on Amazon.
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup sweet and tart dried cherries
- 30 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the almonds in a blender or food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt. Pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Add the cherries, dates, honey and vanilla extract. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper. (Note: If using a silicone baking pan, you do not need to line with parchment paper.)
- Remove snack bar mixture from blender or food processor and press down into the pan. Be sure to pack it in firmly.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Slice into squares and eat. Any leftover bars can be kept in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
More Recipes to Try Today
Interested in more healthy travel snacks? Head over to my blog Little Family Adventures for my list of 25 healthy travel snacks for adults and kids.