Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is a delicious treat. It also makes a wonderful gift.
I have always loved to bake during the holidays. It is comforting when my kitchen is heavy with lingering scents of freshly made loaves of bread and pies. While I love traditional flavors like pumpkin, I also enjoy bringing unique dishes to the holiday parties. Ever been in the situation where there are 15 pumpkin pies at the office party?
Since going gluten-free last year (per doctor’s orders) it has been harder for me to enjoy baking. However, this year its a bit easier. After some practice, I am able to approach the holidays armed with some of my favorite recipes modified to be full of gluten-free deliciousness. Here is one of my favorites.
Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour baking blend (I often use Pamela’s or Bob Mills)
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- ¾ cup organic milk (can substitute a milk alternative if preferred)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 heaping tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice or concentrate from the bottle
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp. organic, unsalted butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- Grease and flour one 9 x 5 loaf pan with organic vegetable shortening and gluten-free flour. Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine gluten-free flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds. Stir until mixed well.
- In another bowl, beat together the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and beat by hand or with a hand mixer for a full minute until no lumps remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Lemon glaze: Mix together all glaze ingredients and brush over warm bread from the oven.
- Cool loaf about 20 minutes before eating.
Looking for more holiday desserts? Try these 45+ Homemade Christmas Desserts.