Christmas will be here soon. Have a green Christmas this year with this easy tips.
Christmas is right around the corner. It’s a busy time and often stressful time for many people. The meaning behind all the shopping, gift exchanges, travels, and meals is wonderful, but did you ever stop to think about the impact that it has on our environment?
Between Thanksgiving and New Years household waste increases by more than 25%! That waste is coming from food, shopping bags (non- reusable), wrapping paper/gift bags, and all of the accessories that come with gift wrapping (such as bows and ribbons). I never realized just how much waste the holiday season can create. Here are a few simple ideas on what you can do to reduce the waste this Christmas.
Tips for a Green Christmas
- While shopping, be sure to use reusable shopping bags.
- Waste less food. Everyone loves good leftovers the following day, but try and not be excessive because what you don’t eat will eventually spoil and be wasted.
- Reuse tissue paper and gift bags. I save all gift bags and tissue paper I get and reuse them. Once you start saving the bags you build up a good collection so there are always bags for any occasion on hand.
- Use green wrapping paper. If you are not a fan of gift bags there are always other green options with wrapping paper such as recycled wrapping paper, using fabric, or using part of the gift (like a scarf) to wrap. Take your pick!
- Carpool when possible. If you are traveling and there is a way, try carpooling to reduce the number of cars on the road. Not only will this help the environment it will also help with the holiday traffic!
Hope these simple tips will help you be more green this Christmas!
Want to do more to reduce waste this Christmas? Read these 10 tips for reducing waste during Christmas.