I’ve seriously been craving some chicken salad. I’m pretty sure it’s the barrage of Subway commercials advertising their version. As with most things, I can make it better. That’s not arrogance, it’s the truth. I’ve perfected mine over the years. I use fresh organic ingredients and make my own mayo. I swear I’m not crazy! Don’t worry, it doesn’t take very long and it’s really simple.
- 1 lb. of chicken
- A couple cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 T. salt
- 4 cups of water
- Handful of grapes
- 2 small to medium sized apples
- 1/2 cup- full cup of nuts (more if you like a lot, less if you don’t, I used almonds and walnuts because that’s what I had but I use pecans just as often.)
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 or 2 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary
- 1/2 cup of homemade mayo
- A bit of red onion (optional)
- Place all those ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off and cover. Let the chicken finish cooking for another 15 -20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop the following; grapes, any color will do, apples, again any color, nuts, celery, and red onion.
- When your chicken is finished place in a bowl and use 2 forks, or your hands, to shred it into chunks.
- Next melt the butter or coconut oil in a sauté pan and add your chicken and a tablespoon of rosemary. Toss lightly on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Let it cool all the way and then combine your chicken and everything you chopped.
- Now, add about a ½ cup of homemade mayo and stir until combined.
Done and done. I recommend that you cover and refrigerate for an hour or more to let the ingredients meld well. When you’re ready to serve spoon into romaine “boats”. I generally don’t eat grains but I’ll be honest and tell you that when I was at the grocery store these butter croissants in the bakery were speaking to me. I couldn’t resist and I made a little sandwich. It was absolutely delicious and the perfect summer chicken salad. I hope you enjoy!
Share your thoughts in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
Latest posts by Jessica Reagan (see all)
- The Importance of Buying Local - February 27, 2018
- Chicken Alfredo with Roasted Broccoli and Spaghetti Squash - February 22, 2018
- Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs - February 1, 2018