Summer is almost here and it’s going to be a hot one. Get prepared for this hot summer with these great tips to keep you cool and reduce your water and energy use.
It’s looking like it will be a very hot summer all over the United States, including Oklahoma. This means increased water and energy use.
No one wants huge bills or to be hot. There are ways to stay cool without large utility bills. Using these tips are sure to make your summer better and more affordable.
Ways to Prepare for a Hot Summer
- Use a rain barrel. Installing rain barrels can help you store up water, that would normally be wasted, for when you need it. Many home improvement stores carry rain barrels and they are easy to install and use. They also can really cut down on your water use.
- Check out How to Save Money on Your Electric Bill for some really good practical tips.
- When planting pick native plants that are heat and drought resistant, you will have to water less and they will make it through the hot Oklahoma summer.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed to keep the sun from heating up your house.
- When mowing keep your grass a bit longer, it will protect your lawn and it will require less water. Don’t forget to avoid mowing during an ozone alert.
- If you are going to water be sure to do it in the morning or evening. Watering during the hottest part of the day wastes water as much will just evaporate.
- Use the heat to your advantage and line dry your clothes. They will dry fast and you will reduce your energy use.
- Stay hydrated. This is very important. A good way to stay hydrated and cool is to use a Klean Kanteen stainless steel insulated bottle and filling it with ice water.
Latest posts by Lisa Sharp (see all)
- 50+ Sustainable Living Ideas - May 4, 2021
- 8 Homesteading Skills You Need to Learn Before Getting Started - April 16, 2021
- 30 Free Earth Day Activities for Kids - April 15, 2021