Natural mosquito repellent and deterrents can help keep your family safe from West Nile without the use of harsh chemicals.
Mosquitoes are not only annoying but they can also carry diseases like West Nile. Preventing mosquito bites is important and there are natural mosquito repellent options that can help.
West Nile is spread through the bite of Culex mosquitoes, which feed on infected birds. Symptoms of the virus include sudden fever, headache, dizziness, and muscle weakness. Long-term complications include paralysis and tremors.
Keeping the mosquito population down and keeping them off of you is the best way to protect yourself. However, many bug sprays contain harmful ingredients that can be toxic to you and the environment. Thankfully there are many ways to protect yourself without these toxins, here are just a few tips.
Natural Mosquito Repellent and Deterrents
- Use non-toxic bug sprays. Natural food stores often carry safe brands that are DEET-free and use essential oils to keep you bug-free. You can even make your own bug spray.
- Remove all standing water. If you have water for pets be sure to change it often to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the water. If you find holes with standing water, fill them in.
- Keep your lawn short, bushes pruned, and don’t let leaves pile up.
- Plant, plants that repel mosquitoes. Mosquitos don’t like lemongrass, rosemary, or marigolds. Planting these can help keep mosquitoes away.
- When you are outside in the evening, if possible, cover up. Wearing long sleeves and pants can help prevent bites.
- Use a fan. When outside using a fan can help keep bugs away and keep you cool.
- Use citronella candles, look for ones that use vegetable based wax or beeswax instead of petroleum and only use citronella for scent, no artificial fragrances.
Using these tips will keep you and your family safe, without all the toxins. What do you do to protect your family from mosquitoes? Share your tips in the comments below or join the conversation on Facebook.
Latest posts by Lisa Sharp (see all)
- Kerrygold is not 100% Grass-Fed, What is Grass-Fed Anyway? - July 18, 2018
- Plastic-Free Straw Alternatives - June 26, 2018
- Ways to Prepare for a Hot Summer - June 12, 2018