We have already had several 100+ days and it’s not even July. So how can we stay cool in this heat and stay green? Here are some ideas to help.
- Use an insulated bottle like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel insulted bottle. Fill it with ice water and stay hydrated.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed when the sun is shinning in the window.
- Cook on the stove top and in small kitchen appliances like a toaster oven as much as possible. The oven gives off a lot of heat.
- Plant some shade trees. The more your home is shaded the cooler it will stay.
- Shade your A/C. Keeping your A/C cool will help it run more efficiently.
- Get your air ducts cleaned and checked.
- Install and use ceiling fans.
- Make and eat some homemade ice cream.
- Wear loose fitting clothing.
- Insulate your house, it will help you keep the cool air in.
- Seal up air leaks to prevent losing cool air.
- Skip the heat dry setting when running your dishwasher.
What are some other good ways to stay cool this summer?
Photo Credit: samlavi
About the Author
Lisa Sharp is passionate about green living, organic food, animals, and natural medicine. She is an environmental activist, green living expert, and consultant. In addition to being the founder and editor of Green Oklahoma, Lisa has a green living blog, Retro Housewife Goes Green. You can follow Lisa on twitter @Retrohousewife5 and Facebook.