Trying to stay cool this summer and don’t want to increase your electric bill? These tips can help, even during the hottest part of the summer.
Summers can be pretty hot here in Oklahoma and it can mean high electric bills. It also means more emissions from higher energy use. Oklahoma even experiences blackouts due to high energy use from time to time during hot summers.
You don’t want to spend the whole summer feeling hot to keep your electric bill down. Thankfully there are ways we can stay cool without turning up the A/C though, saving us money, and they help the environment as well.
Staying Cool Without a Higher Electric Bill
- Use an insulated bottle like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel insulated bottle. Fill it with ice water and stay hydrated.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed when the sun is shining in the window.
- Cook on the stove top and in small kitchen appliances like a toaster oven or Instant Pot as much as possible. The oven gives off a lot of heat.
- Plant some shade trees. The more your home is shaded the cooler it will stay.
- Get an A/C tune-up to make sure it’s working correctly.
- Shade your A/C. Keeping your A/C cool will help it run more efficiently.
- Get your air ducts cleaned and checked.
- Install and use ceiling fans.
- Make and eat some homemade ice cream.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Insulate your house, it will help you keep the cool air in.
- Seal up air leaks to prevent losing cool air.
- Skip the heat dry setting when running your dishwasher.
- Use a clothesline instead of your dryer.
- Use a small fan to cool yourself without having to cool the whole house.
What are some other good ways to stay cool this summer? Share in the comments below.