Take care of your skin this summer with simple DIY skin care recipes using ingredients you likely have in your kitchen right now.
Summer is fully in view now, and it’s time to get your glow on. Luckily, you can do this at home with ingredients you may already have in your kitchen! Not only are you controlling what fresh ingredients go into your skin applications, but you are also saving some money as well! Below are some easy recipes you can make at home.
Summer Skin Care Recipes
You’ll want to concentrate on exfoliating first to remove dead skin and polish. Body scrubs are easy to make and can really help your skin look its best. You can use either salt or sugar depending on your skin type. People with drier skin sometimes prefer sugar over salt, whereas others will prefer salt to give more of a glowing effect. If you choose salt, it’s best to use sea salt as table salt is too harsh. By making this on an as-needed basis, you can avoid having to worry about shelf life or rancidity. It is recommended to use organic ingredients whenever possible.
Simple Body & Foot Scrub
- 1 part jojoba oil (olive oil, almond oil, or grapeseed oil also work well. Avoid using low grade cooking oils)
- 2 parts turbinado sugar or salt (you can use regular white or brown sugar)
- Pinch of Finely Chopped or Dried Herbs (optional – suggestions are mint, lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, calendula)
- Few Drops of Essential Oils (optional – suggestions are lavender, rose, eucalyptus, rosemary)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Wet your skin.
- Scoop a small amount into your hands and work from the feet upwards on the legs, thighs, torso, and arms while rubbing in a gentle circular motion.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Next, you’ll want to focus on your face. Making a fresh face mask from your kitchen is a great way to help rejuvenate your facial skin while also adding some useful vitamins and minerals. You can use many kinds of fruits and vegetables, but this recipe is excellent for gentle exfoliation, cleansing, and toning all-in-on.
Mangos are excellent for the skin due to the vitamin C content, which helps brighten and fight against free radicals. The oatmeal in this recipe gently exfoliates while the honey is an antioxidant powerhouse that also gently cleanses the skin. It’s best to use organic ingredients wherever possible. If using non-organic, then peeling the mango is recommended even though the skin contains a very high nutrient content.
Fresh Mango, Honey & Oatmeal Face Mask
- ¼ Mango with Skin, cubed
- 1 Tbsp Oats
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Wash face and neck area before applying.
- Blend ingredients in food processor or blender until a smooth paste is formed.
- Apply in a gentle circular motion and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and air dry.
- Use some of the leftover mango peel and pulp for an eye patch.
Finally, your summer skin prep would not be complete without taking care of your hair. This fresh avocado hair mask is great for all hair types and will help boost shine and strength.
Fresh Avocado Hair Mask
- ½ Ripe Avocado
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend into a paste.
- Add more lemon juice in tiny amounts if needed to blend completely.
- Apply to scalp and length of hair.
- Leave on for up to 30 minutes and rinse.
- Shampoo as usual.
With these easy DIY recipes, your skin will be glowing and ready for summer in no time. And, always remember to use sunscreen.
ESSENTIAL OIL RESOURCES
If you are overwhelmed by all the information out there about essential oils and want good, reliable information, check out the Herb and Essential Oil Super Bundle. It’s full of great essential oil resources. It’s only available until June 4th though, so don’t wait.