Want to save money this summer and help the environment? There are a lot of things you can do that accomplish both at the same time!
Summer is here and there are likely a lot of fun things you’d like to be doing. Creating some new green habits this summer can help you save some money so you can do all those fun things.
We often think of doing the more environmentally friendly things as being more expensive but there are so many things we can do that actually save us money.
Tips for Saving Money by Going Green
- Start hanging your laundry to dry, it’s a great way to take advantage of the Oklahoma heat and wind.
- Make your own snacks, like some yummy chocolate cherry adventure snack bars.
- Sign up for OG&E SmartHours, it can help save you on your electric bill.
- Keep your parties waste-free to cut down on extra costs.
- Eat local food. Now is the time to check out your local farmer’s markets for some great deals!
- Make some unpaper towels to reduce your waste and save some cash.
- Cut back on your energy use to keep from having a sky high electric bill this summer.
- Reduce your water use to keep the water bill low and conserve water in case of worsening drought conditions.
- Drive smart and increase your MPG.
- Better yet, walk, bike, carpool, or use public transportation.
- Eat seasonally, it’s cheaper and tastes better.
- Start a garden and save on food costs.
- Skip bottled water and use a reusable bottle this summer instead.
- Make your own iced coffee at home using a real cup.
- Meal plan and avoid wasted food and food out.
- Skip the longer trips and have some staycations.
- Use natural light instead to save on electricity during sunny days.
- Cook less. Cooking uses a lot of energy and can also heat up the house. Plan meals that need less cooking and when you do cook consider using a slow cooker, Instant Pot, or toaster oven to heat up the house less than using the oven.
- Unplug more and get outside. Find fun activities instead of staying inside using a lot of electricity using electrionics.
- Don’t water your lawn or at least water during cooler hours when there will be less evaporation.
And don’t forget to choose safer sunscreen this summer. There are a lot of fun outdoor activities to enjoy but you don’t want to get burned or use a lot of harsh chemicals on your body.
More Summer Resources
- Summer Recipes Using In-Season Produce
- Ways to Prepare for a Hot Summer
- Summer Skin Care from the Kitchen